Building and Finishing a Handmade Steamer Trunk

**Though I was compensated for this post in product and/or monetarily, all opinions, ideas and comments are 100% my own. Please note: this post may also contain affiliate links.**

   I found a vintage reproduction steamer trunk in the Restoration Hardware catalog that I absolutely fell in love with.  I just couldn’t justify the price of $1800 to sit at the end of my bed for storing odds and ends.  

Restoration Hardware Steamer Trunk

I looked at other stores and many places sold similar trunks, all for well above any amount I was willing to pay.  So I skipped ahead into some of the other classes in my course schedules for carpentry hours and found the subject on “Kerf Bending”.

Kerf bending wood is done by cutting several shallow cuts in a series a little more than 3/4 of the way through.  The goal of the series of cuts, is to remove enough material in succession to allow the wood to bend where each cut is made.  The more cuts the larger the radius of the bend. 

After drawing up my plans and marking each piece of 1/2″ purebond plywood with the proper length and width, I measured where my bends needed to start and where they needed to end.  I set my blade on my circular saw to allow the blade to cut through all but the last layer in the plywood.

Once each piece was cut, I used a few bungee cords to help hold the bends while I glued and nailed the pieces in place.

Clamps don’t exactly work well with holding curves like this so I had to improvise.

I let all the pieces dry overnight before sanding and putting a few coats of Modern Master’s pewter metallic accents paint on.

Next I had to replicate the look of wrapped aluminum sheets on the trunk.  First I marked off a few straight lines with a pencil and square.

Then using my large combination square and a small chisel I defined the lines making an indention.

Then using carpet tacks or upholstery tacks, I nailed them in a rough line along the indention’s I had made with the chisel.  I wanted these to look handmade and not perfectly straight in line so I wasn’t worried about spacing or perfection.

I then stained and cut pieces of quarter and half round molding to trim the trunk.

Using wood glue and brad nails to secure the trim, I filled the holes with putty and touched up after it was dry.

To add the look of a vintage aged trunk I decided to glaze the entire thing with Unicorn SPiT in Midnight’s Blackness.  I used it full strength, brushing on and wiping back the excess with a clean rag.

I pre-drilled the holes for all the hardware and used an old leather belt for the handle.  I also added some details with small brass finishing nails.

I sealed the entire trunk with polyurethane from Old Master’s antique sheen.  Here it is finished, and I can’t wait to use what I learned for the next one.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s